Monday, October 10, 2011

First Things First

When I have read blogs written by others who get engaged, the announcement is often followed by assurances from the author that she is not one of those girls who has been planning her wedding since she was 8 years old and, don't worry, her blog will not become an all-about-wedding blog.  In similar fashion, I would like to assure you that I have totally been planning my wedding since I was 8 years old and this blog is very likely to be quite wedding heavy.  So now that that is cleared up, let's talk about the wedding. 

As evidenced here, here, here and here (there are more, but let's not get nuts), I have been thinking about this for a long time.  I thought I knew exactly what I wanted, but there is a slight complication I did not plan for, which is that I am working a temporary job right now, I am planning to take the New York bar exam in February (Let's not discuss this, I know I'm crazy.  Also, no, Pennsylvania bar results have not been released yet.  When you go to the website, a pop-up comes up saying do not call the office, a release date is TBD, and they will email us when they're ready, which is basically lawyer speak for fucking leave us alone we will deal with you when we're good and ready.  Message received.), Joe is planning a career change very soon, and if I don't get a job here we will likely move back to New York when our lease is up (yay!) because it's ultimately where we want to be, as much as I do love it here.

All of that means I do not know what our financial situation will be or even where we will be come Fall 2012, which is the time frame I have in mind for all this to happen.  That makes it pretty difficult to set a realistic budget, which makes it pretty difficult to pick a venue, which makes it pretty difficult to do anything else.  Out of curiosity, I have already called a few places just to see what we're in for and turns out all the super pricey places are available next Fall and all the reasonably priced places are not.  Apparently, when we decided we might like to get married next Fall, I really should have started making calls when I was 8 years old and first decided this marriage thing might be for me.  On the bright side, we still have a decent amount of money stashed away from the sale of Joe's condo last Spring, for which I am eternally grateful.  I have mentioned to Joe that I think this money would make for an incredible wedding.  He has mentioned to me that he thinks it would make for a great down payment on a house.  It's like he doesn't love me at all. 

For right now, I'm just going to enjoy being engaged and let the chips fall where they may.  Too much right now is up in the air for me to put definitive plans in place.  In the meantime, gazing at and falling in love with my ring and hearing Joe call me his "bride-to-be" is exactly where I want to be.

0 comments: