Thursday, November 12, 2009

Life and Lists: Two of My Favorite Things

UPDATE: This list has adapted and grown and been taken much more seriously and can now be found here.

I've been thinking a lot lately about things that need doing. Which leads to thinking about things I want to do. Because that's usually a lot more fun. I read the blog of Mighty Girl pretty regularly and she keeps/has kept a running Life List of things she wants to do before her doing is done. Recently, the coolest thing that can possibly happen to a person happened to her and Intel offered to sponsor her Life List. She got a certain amount of time to cross as many things as possible off her list, their treat. I don't know how many good karma points you have to rack up for something like that to happen to you, but I'm pretty sure it starts with putting your hopes and goals and dreams out there. Giving them a voice so the universe can hear. That's the first step. I think everyone should have a Life List and I think everyone should write it down, refer back to it, update it, make time for it, check things off. I plan to do just that. So off the top of my head, subject to updating, here's the very beginning of my list, in no particular order:

1. Have a family
2. Own a home
3. Swim with dolphins
4. Zip lining
5. Parasailing
6. Pay off student loans/be debt free
7. Travel:
UK
Phuket, Thailand
Australia
Ireland
South Africa (again)
everywhere, really
8. Write the book/story/bio that my Pawpaw asked me to before he died
9. Take up/learn photography
10. Own a bakery
11. Name a daughter after my grandma
12. Watch a baseball game in ever Major League ballpark
13. Make it so my mom never has to worry about money
14. Road trip across the U.S.
15. Host a grown-up slumber party with all of my friends
16. Run(ish) a marathon
17. Do a pull-up
18. Develop/write my own recipes from scratch
19. Write a cookbook (doesn't have to be published, can be just for me)
20. Build the kitchen of my dreams
21. Learn to change the oil in my own car
22. Make a pie completely from scratch (crust and all)
23. Own a Le Creuset Dutch oven
24. Learn to do the things previously listed here

That's a good start.

1 comments:

Jessica said...

I came over here from Mighty Girl. You have a wonderful List! I can personally vouch for how great Phuket is - I hope you make it there!