Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Holiday/Birthday Gift Guide 2013

Thirty is exactly 20 days away.  I think what I'm most excited about is that I'm taking both my birthday and Christmas Eve off from work.  Including Christmas, that's a five day weekend!  I'm pretty stinking excited about it. 

I don't know what I'm doing for my birthday because my husband has taken complete control of the day and has not dropped a single hint.  Quite frankly, he has historically so completely sucked at surprising me that the fact that we're this close and I still have no idea makes me assume he has completely dropped the ball.  I mean, have I mentioned the time that I signed for the delivery of my own engagement ring because it was delivered on the one day I happened to be home during a work week?  Or the time I flipped open our shared laptop to find the open purchase confirmation e-mail for the Kate Spade purse that was to be my Christmas present that year?  Or my first birthday as his girlfriend when he asked me what my birthstone was and whether I liked to wear bracelets and then "surprised" me with a bracelet featuring my birthstone?  Or the countless other times I have way too easily been able to figure out exactly what he was planning way before the plan unfolded?  He doesn't have a sneaky bone in his body, which is actually pretty sweet and endearing, but does not lend itself to surprises.  So he's either totally on top of his game this year or I have Olive Garden and a movie in my future. 

But just in case he needs some help, here's my annual birthday/holiday gift guide/wishlist:
Every week, I pull recipes from online or my collection of cookbooks for the week's menu and make a shopping list.  When it's time to cook, we usually prop the cookbook or the iPad against the toaster.  This would be better.  I like that it has a screen to hold the pages down and protect from splatters.
The latest cookbook I want to add to my growing collection.  "Simple, Delicious, and Affordable Meals."  Sold.  Also: Jamie is adorable.
I have long coveted the Ugg Dakota slipper but justifying $100 for a pair of slippers is difficult to do.  These are half the price and look just as cozy. 
Philosophy Amazing Grace perfume, $55, and Kiehl's Musk, $42.50
It seems like every year, I have a perfume on the list.  Last year, it was Juliette Has a Gun Not a Perfume.  The year before, it was the Burberry and Chanel mini-collections.  I love collecting new scents.  Amazing Grace is soft and feminine and graceful.  Kiehl's Musk is deliciously classic, sexy, and makes me swoon just a bit. 
These fall in the category of completely random but just sweetly adorable enough to make me want to gift and/or receive. 
They say your 30s are when it's time to get serious about taking care of your skin.  Let's get started.  I've already noticed that my skin needs more moisture at night.  I think it's time to improve the quality of the products I use regularly.  It's worth the investment.  I already use Josie Maran's Argan Cleansing Oil and color stick and really love them both.  I've also gotten my mom hooked.  This kind of stuff is something you won't do for yourself so they make gifts I love to give. 
Okay, this is a weird one, but I have been obsessed with this umbrella, for, oh, gosh, ever? 
This is another random item I've had my eye on for the longest.  Now that I have my own office, I love this classic little clock for my desk. 
$24 for push pins?  Don't be ridiculous!  But they're gold! And adorable! And bows!  Oh, okay then.  I knew you'd see it my way. 
I mean, come on.  What a sweet something to remind your buddies how beautiful you think they are. 
I need to be reminded of this 20 times a day anyway, so this is as good a way as any to get the message across.

 
Cashmere socks, $88 and $98
Completely indulgent and extravagant but how cozy and special for sleeping on cold winter nights.
I have wanted a gold Michael Kors watch for quite some time now.  I bought Joe a gorgeous watch as my gift to him on our wedding day and he wears it all the time.  Yet I don't have one of my own.  That sort of selflessness should really be rewarded.  You guys?  Ten bucks he stopped reading this after the spoons.
 
Also, gift guides past:
2011 - parts one and two
Apparently in 2010, all I wanted was gift certificates for bar exam prep classes.  What a horrible year.

2 comments:

YOUKNOW. said...

While I do love everything on this list, it is way to late. 20 days away!?! Your presents are already on their way and you're going to love them (hopefully).

Christina said...

You are much more organized than I this year! I'm sure I will love them. Thanks, buddy!