Monday, December 7, 2009

Holiday/Birthday Gift Guide...For Me

This is the time of year when everyone comes out with their gift guides, to help others shop for others. But since this is my blog, I shall present a gift guide with a twist: My Gift Guide to Help Others Shop for ME. It kind of reminds me of the time in 8th grade when I threw a birthday party for myself and made a list of every person invited and then next to their name wrote a gift I wanted. Then when anyone asked me what I wanted for my birthday, I just whipped out the list and told them what gift they had been assigned. Some called that a sign of selfish conceit; I called it practical. Twelve years later and I still think my organization skills and thinking ahead were severely underappreciated.

Anyway, my birthday is December 23rd and Christmas is two days later, so this is the only time of year I get to cash in, and as anyone who has a birthday near Christmas knows, you still get seriously short-changed. People try to get you one gift and pass it off as counting for both occasions, a serious faux pas. Or give you your birthday gifts wrapped in Christmas paper. Dude, my birthday is a separate occasion. If you did that in July, it would just be tacky. Or people let the birthday slide altogether since they're caught up in holiday merriment and short on cash, it being the holidays and all. I'm very aware of the problem and I am sensitive to it, which is why I advise buying my birthday gifts in June. A little planning ahead and you won't have those problems, people.

But despite the above two paragraphs of entitlement, I am actually not counting on gifts this year, mainly because I too am broke and have little to give that costs any actual money. So this list is definitely a WISH list, and is not to be taken seriously in any way whatsoever. Just a little fun. Here goes:

1. Listography Journal: Your Life in Lists (this book was made for me)
2. Sex & the City DVDs, seasons 1 & 2 (the collection is almost complete)
3. Will & Grace DVDs, seasons 1-6 (my favorite sitcom ever)
4. Mad About You DVDs, any season (second most favorite sitcom ever)
5. Keep Calm and Have a Cupcake sign to hang in the kitchen (Don't mind if I do...)


6. All You Need is Love wooden sign to hang anywhere

7. Kate Spade Bowrama Stevie bag in black
8. Kate Spade Gramercy Park Stevie bag in black
9. Kate Spade Lady Marmalade hoops
10. Kate Spade Single Ball Earrings in Colorado

11. Julia's Kitchen Wisdom by Julia Child
12. Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child (2 volume set)
13. Any of Ina Garten's cookbooks
14. Any cookbooks, really. I want to start collecting them.
15. Wusthof Classic Chef's Knife
16. Williams-Sonoma 10 piece glass bowl set (so practical, and inexpensive!)

17. Le Creuset Round Dutch Oven in Dune (A dream item. One day...)

18. Kiehl's Creme de Corp Lotion

19. Clocky (The alarm clock that rolls off the table and hides when it goes off, forcing you to get out of bed and find it to make it stop. This could change my life.)

20. Gift certificates:
Starbucks
Williams-Sonoma
Target
Trader Joe's
DSW
Barnes & Noble
21. And when all else fails...cash

What's on your lists?

1 comments:

SG said...

clocky sounds like the most evil invention ever!