Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Pass the Paper Bag, Please

Buying a house involves lots of steps and paperwork and can you prove you were a student in 2011 and do you have any additional liquid assets and I'm sorry?  We have to pay school taxes on top of property taxes?  What the what?  There are two kinds of people in this world: people who know what's involved in home ownership and those who are blissfully ignorant.  I really have taken being the latter for granted. 
 
Today after another e-mail from the bank requiring more documents, I texted Joe and queried whether we were completely crazy and whether he would like to back out with me.  Maybe?  I'm scared.  And confused.  And I think there is still a lot we don't know.  And this is overwhelming and probably overrated.  Maybe? 
 
The inspection last week went fine.  There are some things that need to be fixed and some things that need attention, but nothing really major.  The sellers agreed to fix our main concerns so that's all good. 
 
Now we're waiting to receive the contracts from the sellers' attorney and gathering more documents for the bank.  I have a feeling this is the most prolonged and anxiety-ridden part.  I hope? 
 
Oh also.  We apparently owe on our taxes this year.  Um...90% of the reason I got married was for the tax benefits.  I feel betrayed.  By the government.  Which is pretty much the most devastating kind of betrayal.  So that with all this down payment and liquid asset talk has me more than a little anxious. 
 
April just began and I would already like to just get through it. 

0 comments: