Friday, September 7, 2012

No Contest

The best part of unemployment by far is all the sleep.  Sure, I was anxious and worried and fearful, but my goodness was I rested.  That anxiety kept me up at night a lot, but that's manageable when there's nothing stopping you from sleeping until noon or 1:00 or 2:00 the next day.  Life isn't so terribly bad if you get to consider 11:00 am early.

So even though I was eager to find a job, I was also conscious that I hadn't really had a true long break since my last college summer.  In 2005.  A long string of nights filled with uninterrupted sleep was so, so welcome despite the circumstances.

They say to determine how much sleep your body needs, you should go several nights in a row letting your body naturally wake without an alarm clock.  Supposedly you'll start to notice that you sleep pretty much the same number of hours every night and that's how much sleep you need.  That's all well and good except who has the opportunity to go several nights in a row letting your body naturally wake without an alarm clock? The unemployed, that's who.  I kept track and turns out that when left to my own devices, I sleep for 9 hours.  Nine hours.  When I was in school or working, I averaged 6-7.  This is why I've been ever ready to go to bed my whole life.  That's what she said.  Sorry.  Anyway, apparently I have the same sleeping needs as a 6 year old.

Now that I'm working, I need to be up between 7 and 7:30.  That means I should be in bed by 10:00.  I pulled that off for two whole days in a row.  Now I'm just tired again.  My coffee intake has increased exponentially.

So yeah.  The best part of unemployment is by far all the sleep and the best part of employment is the ability to fall asleep easily.  Also: money.  We have a winner.

0 comments: