Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread

One of my favorite Fall treats is pumpkin bread.  Google pumpkin bread and you will get an endless stream of recipes, all different.  Generally, there are two ways to go: sweet or savory.  I prefer the slightly sweet variety, preferably dotted with chocolate chips.  Chocolate and pumpkin are besties.  Who am I to stand in their way?

Years ago, I had a pumpkin bread recipe I adored.  But I lost it and have not been able to replicate it since.  I make several batches every fall and they never come out quite right when compared to the original recipe.  This year, though, I think I'm close (though not quite there).  Still, this recipe provides a warm blend of pumpkin, fall spice, and chocolate that pairs perfectly with a tall glass of milk or a hot cup of coffee.  Try it and see. 

(Recipe adapted slightly from here.)

3 1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon allspice
3 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2/3 cup water
1 15 oz. can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Set oven to Bake at 350.

Sift and mix together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice.

In separate bowl, mix together sugar, oil, water, pumpkin, and eggs. 

Add the dry ingredients to the wet in 3 batches, mixing well between batches. 

Stir in chocolate chips.

Pour into loaf pans (makes 2 large).

Bake for 60-70 minutes, but start checking it after 40 just in case.  Overbaking means dry pumpkin bread and not even chocolate chips can solve that problem.  Or try pumpkin bread muffins.  In that case 30 minutes at 350 should do it.





3 comments:

Kelsey said...

Looks good!!! Pumpkin is my favorite fall flavor. Pumpkin bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin spice lattes... yum!

chickster said...

every year I make pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and I'll probably try this recipe soon, because I'm tired of Mr. O stealing all the cookies

Christina said...

I want that recipe!