Monday, October 25, 2010

Fall and Chili and Cheese

Hello.  It is October.  This makes me very happy.  The air is chill and crisp.  All is right with the world.  I want cinnamon and nutmeg and apples and pumpkins and hearty dishes and baked goods straight from the oven and other things in those general categories.

I love being in the kitchen.  Good things happen there.  I take a good deal of pride and pleasure in making yummy things. To the point that my old roommate used to make fun of me because even when I was cooking for one, I still finished off meals with a nice garnish.  But seriously, why even bother making a homemade marinara if you're not going to finish it off with a basil chiffonade?  I'm not an animal. 

October this year was kicked off with beef chili and sour cream and cheddar biscuits from Smitten Kitchen.


Delicious.  Hit the spot.  Perfect for fall.  Hot and hearty.  I changed up the recipe a little though.  I wanted it a little more stew-y and a little less chili-y and a little more healthy so I only added one pound of lean ground beef and doubled the kidney beans. 

For the biscuits, I added a minced fresh jalapeno because I couldn't find the pickled version.  I also replaced the sour cream with fat-free Greek yogurt.  I generally use Greek yogurt wherever sour cream is usually called for (on potatoes, on tacos, to add creaminess to a sauce, etc.), but this was the first time I used it in baking.  Worked beautifully.  These biscuits were cheesy and satisfying.  I highly recommend.


My next project is perfecting pumpkin bread.  My first batch did not have enough fall spice.  My second batch had way too much.  I ate all of both batches just to make sure.  I am dedicated.  

1 comments:

chickster said...

It sure looks like a lot of biscuits for one lady! Feel free to ship some my way if you're unable to finish them all - they look delish. Thanks =)