Friday, October 21, 2011

And So It Begins

Even though I'm in no rush to start wedding planning, I kind of feel like I have no choice.  Everyone and their mother already has plans for Fall 2012.  You go through life totally oblivious to the fact that people all around you are booking their lives a year in advance, and then you get engaged and you realize that you really should have booked your photographer 17 years ago.  Also the one you love costs $5000.  That does not include travel.  Holy snickerdoodle. 

So the tide has been gently (mostly) pushing me along and I've been making calls and doing some research and am heavy into the gathering information phase.  This week, my first wedding related purchase came in the mail (a small personalized cute $20 something).  This weekend, we are driving out to see possible wedding venue #1.  I am a wee bit anxious about it, because I think I'm going to love it.  It's beautiful in pictures, is in a gorgeous part of the state, the food is supposed to be amazing, the coordinator I've been communicating with is friendly and always prompt with responses, it's incredibly reasonably priced....and the first available date they have is December 22, 2012. 

So basically we're going to see if I fall in love hard enough to give up the Fall wedding vision.  That makes me nervous, because the Fall wedding vision has long been one of my non-negotiables, even before there was a ring on my finger.  It's my favorite time of year and to get married when the air is crisp and the leaves are changing and everyone is feeling festive and cozy just feels right. 

As a side note, Joe's favorite time of year is summer.  But since sweat and white dresses and humidity and thick, curly hair do not go together, I win that one.  I totally win that one.  Even though he does not feel about Fall the way I do.  Case in point:  me: "Isn't this tree-lined street gorgeous with the leaves all falling and changing?"  Joe:  "Sure, if you like being surrounded by and constantly reminded of things dying."  Varying perspectives are always nice. 

As a further side note, no way we are getting married on December 22, 2012.  It's too much trouble for guests to deal with during Christmas, but mainly my birthday is December 23rd.  To set Joe up so he has to buy 3 gifts in a 4 day span for the rest of our lives is cruel and unusual.  And also a recipe for disaster.  I barely have need for two things he can buy at Best Buy, let alone three.  The gift buying, we're working on it. 

I will have a full report regarding Venue #1 next week!  Very excited.  Also: scared. 

0 comments: