Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Truly Madly Bluntly

I realize what I’m about to say is controversial. I have one friend in particular who I know will strongly disagree, but I’m going to say it anyway. James Blunt is a genius. Particularly at writing and singing heartbreaking songs that make you want to rip out your own heart and throw it at the wall because the pain of it beating yet another agonizing beat will just be too much to bear. Because I wasn’t in enough pain right after my break-up, I listened to “Good-bye My Lover” on repeat on my IPod and sobbed and sobbed and sobbed. Then I paid more attention to the lyrics, realized they were talking directly to me, and sobbed anew. Oh James, you and I are so in synch. How did you know everything I was feeling and capture it so melodically? I mean, just get a load of these lyrics:

You touched my heart; you touched my soul.
You changed my life and all my goals.
And love is blind and that I knew when,
My heart was blinded by you.
I've kissed your lips and held your hand.
Shared your dreams and shared your bed.
I know you well, I know your smell.
I've been addicted to you.

Holy crap. Did your heart just break a little? C’mon, you know it did. Don’t rip it out yet, there’s more. Brace yourself.

I am a dreamer and when i wake,
You can't break my spirit - it's my dreams you take.
And as you move on, remember me,
Remember us and all we used to be
I've seen you cry, I've seen you smile.
I've watched you sleeping for a while.
I'd be the father of your child.
I'd spend a lifetime with you.

I know, right? That watching you sleep part gets a little creepy, but you can forgive him that since geniuses are often a tad crazy. Now the chorus. Bring us home, James.

Goodbye my lover.
Goodbye my friend.
You have been the one.
You have been the one for me.

Now if you were me and you’d just gone through a tough break-up and you liked to indulge in self-pity, then you’d be burying your face in your pillow, singing the chorus over and over while weeping. But maybe that’s just me.

Thanks for getting me through a tough time, James. I will no longer need your services on a daily or weekly basis. Why don’t we meet up once a month or as needed only from here out? Great, thanks.

1 comments:

JamesBluntCanSuckIt said...

http://www.bestweekever.tv/2007/02/08/james-blunt-annoys-the-st-out-of-me/