Monday, July 2, 2012

Odds & Ends

The refrigerator and dishwasher in our new apartment appear new, but the gas oven is ancient.  After a few frustrating efforts roasting veggies and baking, I ordered an oven thermometer and hung it from the center rack.  Apparently when the oven is set on 325, it's really only 280 in there.  When it's on 400, it's really only 360.  Now that I can get an accurate read on the temperature and I'm no longer scorching or severely undercooking things, I'm a much happier girl.  An oven thermometer.  Life changing.  These lemon bars served as the delicious evidence that I'd finally gotten it right.

In the world according to Joe, there are two types of acceptable footwear: dress shoes for super fancy occasions and sneakers for every other possible occasion.  He refuses to buy flip-flops or anything similar, though even he would have to admit that sometimes they would be much more convenient when just running out for a quick second.  To my horror, he has begun slipping on my flip-flops when he's just going to get something from the car or running out to buy milk or what have you.  So let's recap: buying your own flip-flops is not cool, but wearing your fiancee's flip-flops in public is totally fine.  Please see below for the difference in our respective shoe sizes.  Joe wears a size 11 1/2.  He looks utterly ridiculous in my flip-flops.  Utterly ridiculous.  So someone will soon be the proud owner of his very first pair of flip-flops against his will, which he will frequently wear, and this will just be one more addition to the list of things I was right about.  I don't know why we still have to do this the hard way. 

I've been not working for two weeks now and I have learned yet again that a non-structured lifestyle is not good for me.  There's something about having all the time in the world that lends itself nicely to losing all motivation and getting absolutely nothing productive done.  I have all sorts of goals and plans for this interim time between jobs, but the days seem to slip away so quickly.  Probably because I'm asleep for a lot of it. 

Literally everything I have made from Skinnytaste (low fat recipes) and Rasa Malaysia (easy Asian recipes) has been delicious.  Absolutely everything. 

Yesterday was the 11th anniversary of the day Joe and I met (you can read that story here, if you'd like).  Here's hoping that by this time next year we have a new anniversary to celebrate.  I'm ready for wedding planning to get back on track.  Ready like whoa. 

0 comments: