Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Captain Obvious

Last week I made this baked potato soup recipe, which is a lightened up version with pureed cauliflower in place of much of the potato, 1% milk, and light sour cream (though I used non-fat plain Greek yogurt instead, which I've found is a perfectly fantastic sour cream replacement for most things). 

All of the above noted replacements and substitutions are well and good, but let's face it, the real reason to make baked potato soup is to load it up with cheddar cheese, crispy bacon, and chopped chives.  Any substitutions for that would be criminal. 

So I made it and served it to Joe.  When I asked him how it was, his response was that it was good, but he felt like its weakness was that without the cheese, bacon, and chives it was really nothing too special.  Uh, yeah.  Much like the lowly potato itself.  It's a delicious toppings delivery system.  But now in a low-fat soup form.  Hooray!

0 comments: