Tuesday, September 6, 2011

This Year Is Not Last Year

This year's Labor Day weekend was a total bust.  Joe got called into work Saturday...and Sunday...and then Monday.  He was not thrilled.  I spent my time on the couch emptying the DVR.  I left the patio door open all day so that's kind of like enjoying the outdoors.

Since I pretty much achieved the perfect Labor Day last year, it's best that this year did not try to compete. 

In other not-as-good-as-last-year news, Joe turns 31 on Thursday.  Last year, we celebrated his birthday with an elaborate dinner and a fabulous surprise party.  This year on his birthday, I'm going to let him drive me to the airport and then he's going to work all day.  Surprise!  There will likely not be a gift since I haven't gotten paid yet.  Happy 31st! 

He has requested simply to go out to dinner the night before I leave and for me to make him a cake.  With a thick buttercream icing and sprinkles.  Don't forget the sprinkles.  He loves sprinkles.  I recently also made a birthday cake for Joe's best buddy and his cake request was Funfetti cake.  Joe asked that I put extra sprinkles on top of the Funfetti cake.  This was the request of a 30-year-old man on behalf of his turning 31 man friend.  They have the same taste in cakes as 8-year-old girls.  I just do as I'm told. 

Additionally, last year I could fit in a pair of jeans I currently cannot zip right now.  That also blows.

This weekend has left me very nostalgic for last year.  The emotional roller coaster of this summer has left me very nostalgic for last year.

If nothing else, I am very happy that Labor Day means summer is pretty much over because this summer kicked my ass.  I am very much looking forward to that first day when the weather has officially turned, the seasons have changed, and you can feel the crispness in the air.  At least that happens every year. 

0 comments: