Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I Call Bullshit

My latest TV obsession is Bravo's Most Eligible Dallas.  It is pointless, crappy TV and it is brilliant.  I feel an especial connection to it since I spent my formative years from ages 12-18 years growing up in Dallas.  My mom, dad, and two of three brothers still live there.  I consider it my home town. 

Growing up in Dallas, the number one hang out for the high school kids in my circle was the Starbucks at the intersection of Preston and Royal.  We spent hours there.  Sipping our lattes.  Scoring freebies from the baristas.  Smoking the Swisher Sweets we swindled from the 7-11 on the other side of the parking lot.  A huge group of us would gather and we would take up every outside table and I don't even know.  There are just no words to describe that amount of cool.  I have so many pictures of my friends taken outside that Starbucks that it's a bit ridiculous.  Didn't we have anything else to do?

Uh, no.  There was nothing for teenagers to do in Dallas.  That did not change when I turned 18 or when I turned 21.  We always were at a loss as to where to go and what to do.  There is just nothing that awesome to do in Dallas.  It's not just me.  The same complaint is shared by all my grew-up-in-Dallas friends. 

All that to explain my complete and utter fascination with this show.  WHERE THE HELL ARE ALL THESE PLACES THEY ARE GOING?  I maintain they do not exist.  I think it's the same restaurant every time decorated differently.  I want a list.  I want proof.  I also want an invitation because they make Dallas look awesome.  I want to go to that Dallas! 

I'm going to have to start watching with my laptop out and Google primed and ready.  I'm on to you, Bravo. 

I can't wait for the episode where they're all huddled outside a Starbucks, sitting at a metal table, shivering in the middle of winter, clutching lattes, and talking about whether they should go to the Galleria next or just drive around.  That's the Dallas I know and love.  xoxo. 

5 comments:

Jackie said...

Bahahaa, my husband grew up in Dallas and spent his formative years at that same Starbucks! I shared your post with him and he is with you on the Bravo conspiracy.

chickster said...

have they shown cafe brazil yet? then it's definitely Dallas. And we probably know Jackie's husband . . . or his friends.

Christina said...

I was thinking the same thing! Jackie - I bet we know your husband if his time at the Starbucks was circa 2000-2002. :-) Or if he went to Jesuit...

Jackie said...

He graduated high school in...2001? He went to Greenhill, though, not Jesuit.

Apparently everyone hung out there?

chickster said...

uh oh my sister-in-law went to Greenhill