Wednesday, March 10, 2010

We're Friends Because She Knows 5:00 am Is For Sleeping

When I was an innocent and vulnerable freshman in college, I found myself 2000 miles from home, all by my lonesome with a roommate who awoke at 5:00 every morning for a workout, which is to say we were not kindred spirits. But one day, I received a knock on my door from the adorable and smiling girl across the hall wanting to know if I wanted to go with her and others into Manhattan to see if we could watch celebrities arriving at that year's VMA awards. Um. Yes, yes I do. Also, can you be my new best friend for the next four years and then maybe stay in my life afterwards to remind me that when you most need a friend someone will knock on your door? Yes? Awesome.

That girl's name is Laura and today is her birthday. Not only did Laura save me from spiraling into overwhelming homesickness and loneliness but she also is the reason I started writing online. She wrote her own blog for some time about being single and dating in Manhattan. But she has since found a wonderful man and moved to Maine to be in love. Now she writes about design and things she loves. You can read all about it (and wish her a happy birthday) here.

Welcome to 26, Laura. Having been this age for 2 1/2 months now, I can tell you, it's not that much different from 25. But I'm sure you will make it something fabulous, as you do most things.

Thanks for knocking on my door.

2 comments:

D&D said...

well i cried. HAPPY?!?!

bitch....

D&D said...

and by bitch i mean, you are a lovely friend