Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It Was a Dark and Scary Time

Yesterday afternoon, shortly after waking, I was curled up on the couch with a steaming cup of coffee, properly sweetened, watching Martha, when the cable suddenly blinked out. The entire success of my Spring Break flashed before my eyes.

But I am proud to say I did not panic. I flipped channels to assess the severity of the situation.

Nothing.

I pondered whether it was just me or the entire apartment building. I thought of my 11 item Spring Break To Do list containing such items as "finish taxes" and "organize desk" and "clean apartment" and thought what the world might be like with nothing to distract me from accomplishing these tasks. Oh, dear.

I began to think that maybe this was a sign. The universe intervening to encourage me to take my To Do list by the balls. I'm just going to finish my coffee first.

Then the television flickered. Martha's sweet face and comforting monotone triumphant. An allergen-free crumb cake, you say? Do tell me more.

Whew. That was close.

0 comments: