Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lawyer/Baker/Business Owner/Mom

Have I mentioned here yet how I not so secretly want to go to culinary school for pastry arts and then own a bakery/coffee shop/book store and make yummy treats, drink coffee and read books all day? Well I do. I'd like to own a bakery and have babies and cook meals and spend lots of time at home. Don't get me wrong, I also want to be a lawyer but I'm not looking at that as a lifetime career.

I've been inspired by one of my classmates, an older gentleman who has had a very successful career and in his retirement decided he wanted to go to law school and do public interest law. I never thought of this before: there's no reason why you have to have just one career in a lifetime. You can pick more than one thing, you just have to figure out the timing. I can have my cake and bake it too! I can't tell you how freeing this is. I was feeling really depressed over the fact that my baking dreams might never happen, but I can do the lawyer thing for a while, put some money away, and then do the baking thing. Or if I really like the lawyer thing, I can always do the baking once I retire. Or do the lawyer thing part-time or just do consulting or work from home with a pen in one hand and a whisk in the other!

Somewhere in there I'd also like to be married and be a stay-at-home mom at least while my kids are young. This is the real problem. I'm pretty sure that job doesn't pay. I'm also pretty sure I'm going to want to have kids before I'm ready to retire with lots of money. I'm not quite sure how I'm going to fit those little guys in to my plan even though they're a huge part of it.

This is another reason why your 20s suck. You just have no idea how to fit it all in or what it's all going to look like. I wish I could just see a 5 minute preview of what 20 years from now is going to look like. That would really put me at ease. Or scare the hell out of me. Could go either way.

0 comments: