Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Seafood Salad

According to my car, yesterday was this many:

I think we can all agree that this is bullshit.  If you follow Bette Midler on Twitter, then you know that she is very upset about this.  Miss Bette seems to think that yesterday means that global warming is winning and we are all going to die.  I think global warming is probably winning in the grand scheme of things, but I also think sometimes the weather is just fluky.  Sorry, Bette, I still love you dearly. 

While Bette was waxing political, I was thinking about much more important things - like my dinner.  Temperatures like this call for something light and easy.  Let's discuss.

Inspired by our recent cooking class, we made a trip to the fish market for shrimp and calamari with a chilled seafood salad in mind.  I also made a homemade Caesar dressing (the cauliflower soup on that page is also delicious) and tossed it with some romaine.  We had some leftover quinoa in the fridge, so I mixed that with the seafood salad.  Cold, light, refreshing, and perfect for a day like yesterday. 

So that was fun.  Not again until June, please.  I'm still hoping for the snow day I never got this winter.  Fist bump, Bette, fist bump. 





6 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
3/4 lb large shrimp, peeled, deveined, and tails removed
1/4 lb squid, cleaned, cut into 1/2-inch thick rings
6 Tbs. freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
salt & pepper to taste

Heat a large saute pan over medium-high heat.  Add half of the oil and heat.  Add the celery, garlic, and pepper flakes and cook for 30 seconds.

Add the shrimp and cook until shrimp are just pink in color, about 3 minutes.

Add the squid and cook for one more minute.

Transfer the seafood to a large bowl.  Pour in the lemon juice and the rest of the olive oil.  Add the lemon zest and parsley, and season to taste with salt and pepper.  Serve warm, chilled, or at room temperature.


2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Looks DELICIOUS!!! Sounds like your cooking class was a success!

Christina said...

Thanks, Kelsey! I hope you guys are getting your fill of amazing French food over there!