Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Wherein I Give In To Melancholy

When I was little my mom used to read us this book about Alexander and his terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day.  I believe this book set the tone for my flair for the dramatic, and to this day, I don't just have a bad day, I have terrible, horrible, no good, very bad days.  Alexander and I are kindred spirits.

"Kindred spirits," so you know, is one of my favorite phrases of all time, pulled directly from the Anne of Green Gables series.  Anne and Diana were kindred spirits, the best of friends who understood each other completely, and thus began how I think of all my nearest and dearest friends.  And how I started to think of my non-near and dear friends, too.  There's nothing worse than being a non-kindred spirit: we just do not understand each other and never will.  With Anne of Green Gables also began my affinity for red heads and my secret desire to have red-headed babies.  I am told my maternal grandfather had red hair, though I never saw any evidence of this since I only knew him bald, so here's hoping. 

Recently, I had a long talk/bonding session with one of my co-workers and the next day she told me she had gone home that night and reported to her mom over the phone that we were kindred spirits and I said "did you get that from Anne of Green Gables?" and she said "of course I did" and that's how I knew she was right. 

I am in a weird place this week.  This week, I have decided that nothing is going to work out, people are terrible, and we are all going to end up alone and jobless and homeless and there's probably a meteor hurtling toward earth right now anyway so none of this even matters.  My thoughts are all over the place (sort of like this post) and it's all pretty much terrible, horrible, no good, and very bad.  Me and Alex.  He gets me. 

0 comments: