Thursday, July 30, 2009

Too Much of a Good Thing

I love to cook, but when I'm working full-time, I find cooking severely interferes with my ripping off my clothes and laying in front of the TV for six consecutive hours every weekday evening. I just don't have time for both. But I still want to eat healthy and cheaply so my solution has been to make a big pot of soup every Sunday evening. That way there's always a go-to meal in the fridge, I only have to cook once a week, and it's pretty inexpensive. I make something different every week. There's no set recipe, I just think what might taste good and throw it in the pot. I like to mix up what I use for broth so it varies between chicken stock, beef stock or veggie stock and I supplement with tomato or vegetable juice for extra nutrition.

This week's soup is particularly yummy and I've been eating two or three veggie-filled bowls every night. It has been a rather, um, productive week and I couldn't figure out why. My diet is pretty consistent from week to week and there's no reason why everything I eat should be shooting through me with such reckless abandon and utter disregard for the fact that I might want to leave my house occasionally. The reason finally occured to me yesterday when I had a flashback to last Sunday when I was standing in aisle 3 of the grocery store trying to decide between two varieties of V8 Juice for this week's soup: Healthy Heart or High Fiber. Guess which one I chose.

1 comments:

Kristin said...

Everybody poops.