Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Mmmm, Strawberry...

Today was Girls' Day with the little girly cousins: Allison, Kaitlyn and Isabelle, ages 11, 10, and 9, respectively. We went to the mall, had manicures, saw a movie and went to dinner. Ice cream twice, cookies at the movie, and cheese fries for dinner? Sure. I won't burst your little bubbles with a calorie count today, chicks. Plenty of time to worry about that later. It's Girls' Day!

We were at the mall at one of those bright, flashy tween stores and a huge display of Lipsmackers caught my eye. Seriously, what was better than Lipsmackers? Why did I ever stop wearing it? It's so, so yummy. I snapped up a giant tube of the strawberry and a small tube of the cotton candy. They didn't have coconut Lipsmackers, I checked. I met the girls at the check-out counter so we could purchase all our girlicious prizes. Kaitlyn looked at my Lipsmackers and said, "Why are you buying kid stuff?" I decided this was one of those teaching moments Oprah is always talking about, so I looked her right in the eye and said, "Kaitlyn, my love, you are never too old for strawberry Lipsmackers."

Later we picked up Isabelle and when I went to reapply my strawberry goodness, Isabelle said, "why do you have that?" Allison, without skipping a beat, said, "Isabelle, you are never too old for strawberry Lipsmackers." It's nice to know I'm leaving a lasting impression on these young, malleable minds.

One of the best parts of being in Georgia is getting to be with these kids. I don't have any little people in my immediate family. No nieces or nephews yet and certainly kids of my own are a long way off, so getting to hang out with my little cousins just makes my heart happy.

I'm heading home tomorrow. I hate leaving my family, but I am looking forward to my own bed and late night TV watching with my roomie. I'm also very curious to see if she remembered to water my plants. I do plan to stock up on sweet tea, boiled peanuts and Krystal's hamburgers on my way out of town, no worries.

1 comments:

SG said...

you are teaching the next generation well. its nice to know they are getting positive guidance to becoming fabulous southern belles.